Monday, August 12, 2013

A big butterfly

I was going to play along Iwona's Sketchbook Saturday Challenge then as I finished cutting out my butterfly I thought it was ......hm.......too big.  What should I do?

First, let's look at the sketch:


We agree that the butterfly is indeed big, right?  So I ran to my Cricut Art Philosophy and cut it at 2.75 inches.  I'd like the "height" of the butterfly to be that.  However, that butterfly turned out to be too fat, oops, I mean, too wide.

I hate to waste the butterfly so I made a horizontal card instead:



The card still fits in a standard size envelope as I have cropped the card base to accommodate the wing.

One other thing that I did with the butterfly was to add some patterns to it.  It looked rather flat in plain colors so I stamped a background stamp on it to give it some contrast to the wavy lines in the background.  Speaking of the wavy lines, I found that it is really cool to stamp white on colored cardstocks - the white pattern softens the big solid background but does not steal the main color away.  I like the effect and will do it more often.

I learned that a mistake is just an opportunity to become creative.  Had I not told you, would you be able to tell that the butterfly was cut too big? 

Thanks for stopping by!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love the saturated colours! Orange and pink is a super trendy combo. Love your "fat" butterfly!! :)

    ReplyDelete