Monday, April 14, 2014

Fun with watercoloring

Watercoloring is very popular these days.  If you are spending some time in blogland you know what I mean - you see watercolor in one form or another everywhere!

I am jumping on the bandwagon and try it out!  This is my first attempt:


I've used three reinkers to create the watercolor background:


I put a few drops of reinker on a plastic plate, then mixed each one with some water to dilute it for a bit.  I grabbed a paint brush from my stash and started to paint the watercolor paper with broad strokes to get the watercolor background.  My first attempt did not turn out good enough but this second one made me happy.

I think solid or silhouette types of stamps works best with this kind of background.  This Dreamer stamp set is just perfect for this.  I stamped the three images in Cocoa, then when I looked at my not-so-good watercolor background, I stamped the butterfly and the "dream" on it, fussy cut them and pop them up onto my card.  How I like the idea to recycle that piece! 

I'm afraid that the picture does not capture the dimension well but I hope you could still see the shadow behind the butterfly and the word "dream."  It is pretty cool in real life.

I didn't think of this beautiful color combo myself, I got the inspiration from Color My Heart Color Dare:


the color combo over at Pals Paper Arts is very similar:



 I attempted to create the watercolor background thanks to the challenge at Just Us Girls:


 My card is also linking up to:
Creative Fingers - Anything Goes
Craftitude - Anything Goes
Crafty Calendar Challenge - Things with Wings

Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful background! Great images and the sentiment is perfect because of this looking so dreamy. Thanks for playing with us at JUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet way to combine the colors from this challenge, Joyce! Your card is beautiful. Thanks for playing along with the Pals Paper Arts challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute card! The water colored background is so fun! Thanks for playing with the Pals at Pals Paper Arts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, soft background.....love the colors! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see a CTMH user playing along with PPA! You did a wonderful job with your watercoloring! Thanks for playing with PPA this week - we hope you play along with #200 on Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um...if this is your first attempt, I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing with us over at Color My Heart. I'm sure it will be a source of inspiration for more than just me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I love that stamp and your watercolouring is lovely! Thanks for taking this week's Color Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well your first attempt came out pretty darn good! Very pretty card! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card, Joyce! You did a great job of watercoloring using reinkers on this card. I agree that the silhouette type of stamps go well with this technique. Thanks for sharing your talent with us again at Color My Heart Color Dare!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this technique! I've never tried it, but you have inspired me! I think this stamp set is so cute!

    ReplyDelete